We are looking for an experienced Curator to join the Exhibitions team at Wellcome Collection for a period of 1 year (Maternity Cover).
The Exhibitions team develops and delivers a variety of innovative exhibitions and projects for a wide range of audiences. This work focuses on delivering multi- layered, experimental and diverse displays that encourage our audiences to think and feel differently about health, life and our place in the world. These projects are developed internally or with external partners, researchers, curators, artists and producers.
About the job
To succeed in this role, you will:
- Devise the content and structure of exhibitions.
- Work together with the project manager to select and brief exhibition designers.
- Liaise with national and international partners including artists, scientists, curators, academics, public institutions, commercial galleries etc.
- Commission and negotiate contracts with artists, designers and other specialist contributors to the exhibition programme.
- Request exhibition loans and liaise with the registrar to ensure that conservation, display, transport, courier and insurance requirements are met.
- Create, update and share object lists (using the MIMSY XG collections management database).
- Research, write and oversee the editing and layout of exhibition texts.
- Take an active role in the planning and monitoring of budgets together with the Exhibition Project Manager, providing key information to the Senior Curator and Head of Exhibitions as necessary.
- Act as a spokesperson for the exhibitions to the press, to the public and to peers. This may include conducting tours, answering enquiries, speaking at academic conferences, and giving presentations.
- Maintain an up-to-date awareness of contemporary trends in artistic and scientific discourse, and developments in curatorial and museological practice; and remain informed of all issues, techniques, technologies, conservation methods etc. pertinent to exhibition-making.
- Support the wider curatorial team and Head of Exhibitions in the strategic development of the future programme.
Experience & Skills
To succeed in this role, you’ll need to have:
- Creative flare in communicating science, art & history to new audiences
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Self-reliance and self-motivation.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to remain clam under pressure.
- Effective communication skills
- Ablility to operate as part of a dynamic team.
- Diplomatic with the ability to understand the needs and priorities of other people’s roles in the Exhibition team and across Wellcome
Background / Experience
- Significant experience of curating temporary exhibitions within a museum or gallery environment, including working with a range of different types of materials and perspectives.
- Experience of developing exhibition narrative, content and layout.
- Experience of working with artists on creative projects
- Experience of live programming.
- Knowledge and interest in the history and culture of health and medicine.
- Proven familiarity and knowledge of all aspects of producing an exhibition.
- Exceptional written and verbal skills, including the ability to represent Wellcome Collection and communicate complex issues.
- Good understanding of design, loans process, marketing and press aspects of exhibition promotion
- Good understanding of curatorial best practice.
- Understanding of exhibition finances and financial processes.
- Understanding and experience of best practice in access and inclusion and sustainability as applied to exhibition making.
Education & Qualifications
- Degree or equivalent qualification
We believe great ideas can change the world and improve health for everyone. At Wellcome, we help great ideas to thrive by supporting scientists and researchers, taking on big problems, fuelling imaginations and sparking debate.
Wellcome isn't just a supporter of great ideas; it's a great place to work. We offer excellent benefits and help our employees to develop in an open, respectful culture where differences are valued.
If you are talented and passionate about our work and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience to improve health for everyone, then we’d like to hear from you. You can apply using the link below.